Reading Time: 2 minutes
- Engage with your customers. What does this mean exactly? To make your social media rock, you need to communicate with your customers. If you post something and leave, there will be hardly any engagement. Try commenting on a post someone liked, or involve your customers with a question.
- Post regularly. Posting regularly is a MUST. If you need to know why refer to my recent article on Content Suicide. It goes over why you need to post regularly and what happens if you don’t.
- Use #hashtags. What is the hashtag? Twitter was the first social media site to use them; then Instagram and Facebook jumped on the bandwagon. Hashtags are ways for people to search a common theme. Just think of it as a way to find out if someone is talking about the same thing as you. If you click on a hashtag on Instagram, for example, it brings up all of the pictures others have with that same hashtag.
- Post about relevant content. Posting about relevant content is another MUST for your social media to rock. Your content needs to be about your company, or at least relatable to your company. Take for instance if you’re a marketing company. You should be posting on blog topics and social media. Not posting about the best recipe I’ve ever made or how to clean your bathroom in 3 easy steps. Your content needs to be relevant to your business!
- Have your posts link back to your website. When I post to my social media outlets, I always my blog articles lead back to my website. I want people to read them. So there’s an easy way to do this. Copy the link at the top of the page and paste it to your social media outlet. Most of the sites will shorten the link for you (Twitter) and add your catchy title. Voila! You’re cross-promoting your content and taking people back to your website to read your content.
- Have a catchy title. This is a great one to make sure your social media rocks. Why? Most writers concentrate on their title more than their actual article. 4 in 8 people will read your title, but only 2 in 8 will read the rest of your article. The title should be catchy, over 40 characters and should have the main idea of your article in it.
- Ask questions. As another way to engage with your customers, ask questions related to your post. If you post about the best blog I’ve ever read, ask them what their favorite blog article is. This is a way for people to become more and more engaged with you.
- Give it time. Social media doesn’t happen overnight. It takes a lot of time to build up an audience and to have people start interacting with what you’re doing. This is why it’s SO important to make sure that you’re posting relevant, consistent content. Remember, they didn’t build Rome in a day.
These 8 ways are perfect to get you started to make your social media rock. The last point is imperative! You can’t expect 500,000 people to automatically follow you (unless you’re Justin Bieber). Give it some time and love and soon, your social media will rock!